Friday, June 20, 2014

Haikus! (and the Clarion Write-a-Thon)

    Guys, I'm about to begin a journey for the Clarion Write-a-Thon which helps eighteen fledgling science fiction and fantasy writers each year attend Clarion USCD, a six week workshop with absolutely amazing set of award-winning instructors. It was a completely life changing and insanely positive experience when I had the privilege to attended last year, and I honestly can't say how much it has impacted me as a person let alone as an author.

    But I was only able to attend with help from the MSU Knight-Wilhelm Scholarship, and not everyone is so fortunate to attend Michigan State to qualify for it. So, I am going to be writing to raise money for scholarships to help people afford to make the leap.

    For my Write-a-Thon, I will be attempting to get six stories out the door in six weeks. While doing that, I'm also trying to get my MS thesis done, fit in a few adventures, and trying not to devolve into a puddle of self-loathing. And while this seems daunting, I am happy to share a little secret:

You Can Help!



 If you want to help here's the gameplan: 

Haikus for Donations
  • By donating to my drive, I'll personally write haikus for you.
  • For each dollar that you donate, I will write you one haiku.
        ($1 = 1 Haiku, $20 = 20 Haikus, and so forth)
  • I will send them to you via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
        (Your preference.)
  • If I cannot send them via those, they will be posted in a weekly abandoned haiku post.
  • Anonymous donations will also count to the haiku count and go to the abandoned haiku post.
  • Making a pledge means that for each story I send out, I will write that many haikus for you. 

Warnings and Disclaimers
  • I am not a poet.
  • These will not be edited.
  • You have no say in content, but that's half the fun. 
  • Expect awful prose.
  • It will take me time to keep on top of this, but all haikus will be written within a week of donation. (Threats of further donations are encouraged.)
  • Vulgarity, obscenity, and crude jokes will be avoided to the best of my ability.

So, you donate money to support fledgling authors and I write haikus and short stories. It's a win-win.

Again, you can find my drive page here or on the list of authors participating. (I'm right under Kim Stanley Robinson!) And if you have more money burning a hole in your pocket or you want to spread the love amongst several other authors, these are other Clarion USCD 2013 folks that would appreciate your support:

No comments:

Post a Comment